With Storm Eunice battering us this morning and a red weather warning in place for the south east of England, you can expect a certain degree of disruption to local services in our area.

Refuse collections

Residents who are due to have their bins collected on today may see a delay, depending on the severity of the storm in this area.

This will affect the following areas:

Stansted, Elsenham, Quendon and Rickling, Manuden, Farnham, Clavering, Berden, Great and Little Hallingbury, Hatfield Broad Oak, Hatfield Heath, White Roding and Leaden Roding.

As it stands, refuse collections will operate as usual tomorrow, as long as there is no risk to the safety of staff or residents. We will be reviewing in the situation in the morning and throughout tomorrow.

We are using our social media and e-newsletters to update residents, including the following information, which we are pushing today:

  • If your recycling bins are only half-full and you can manage, please consider waiting until the next collection when the weather is calmer
  • Don’t put the bins out the night before as this will minimise their exposure to high winds
  • Take the bins back within the boundary of the property following the collection as soon as possible
  • Don’t leave the bins anywhere near the highway which could cause a risk, and leave them within the boundary of the property

If collections are disrupted due to the weather tomorrow, we will attempt to return on Monday for any missed collections. We will keep you updated.

General safety messages


Residents and workers across the district are encouraged to consider whether their travel is absolutely necessary, and where possible delay travel until such a time where the journey is without risk. Please keep an eye on travel news for updates.  We are aware that the QE2 and Orwell Bridges will be closed tonight in anticipation.

Power outages

In the event of a power outage, residents and businesses are advised to contact UK Power Networks.

The image below provides details on the various means of contact. Please help to share this within your parish if you have not done so already.

Road obstacles and fallen trees

where to report an obstacle will vary depending on the on the type of road it has obstructed. For obstructions on major roads, such as the M11 and A120, contact Highways England, for minor roads contact Essex Highways.

Further information

The district council are continuing to monitor the situation as it progresses and will provide further updates as necessary. Information is available our website –

Further useful information for residents is also available on Essex County Council’s Facebook page. See