Following the Prime Minister’s announcement on Covid-19 precautions on Monday (16 March), Uttlesford District Council has taken the decision to close a number of its public venues.
The government is now recommending increased social distancing and has advised people to reduce social contacts in general and avoid confined public spaces. By this weekend, those with the most serious health conditions will be told to stay at home and avoid any contact for the next 12 weeks. The focus will be on the most vulnerable including the over-70s, pregnant women and those with pre-existing health conditions.
The council has moved into an emergency planning mode of working and has set up coordinated command structure arrangements to respond to this fast-moving situation.
In line with the guidance, and as a precautionary measure, the council will close the following from tomorrow (18 March) until further notice:
- its Customer Information Centre in Thaxted
- its UDC Customer Service Desk at Great Dunmow Library
- the day centres at Dunmow, Thaxted, Saffron Walden and Stansted
- Saffron Walden Museum
Customer service facilities will remain in operation at the council’s main offices in Saffron Walden by phone as well as online at www.uttlesford.gov.uk. Revised arrangements will be put in place for face-to-face visits at the main offices shortly. Further advice will be made available on the dedicated webpage at www.uttlesford.gov.uk/coronavirus and via the council’s social media channels (follow UttlesfordDC on Facebook and Twitter).
All Saffron Walden Museum events and activities are postponed, however people can still follow the museum’s work behind closed doors via social media or the website, at www.saffronwaldenmuseum.org.
Meanwhile, the council has postponed the Planning Committee which was due to take place tomorrow (18 March). The Extraordinary Council Meeting on 31 March will still be going ahead subject to any further changes, but all other council meetings have been cancelled until further notice. The council continues to monitor the situation and will advise on the dates of all future meetings in due course.
Finally, the council is urging all residents to continue to follow the public health messages around what they can do to prevent catching or spreading the virus, as well as what to do if they are concerned about health symptoms. More information can be found at www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/.
- For more details on this media release please contact the Communications Team on 01799 510442 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Twitter @Uttlesford DC
- You can also follow our Business Development Team @UDCBusiness, our Communities Team @UDCCommunities, and our jobs feed @UDCJobs
- The Chair of the council is on Twitter and can be found @UDCChair
- Follow us on Facebook at facebook/UttlesfordDC